Tropical Storm Isaac cuts deadly path across Haiti

By Admin Thursday August 30 2012 in Caribbean
COMMENTS
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...


 

PORT-AU-PRINCE: As of press time, eight people had been killed in Haiti as a result of Tropical Storm Isaac.

 

One of the victims was a 10-year-old girl, who died when a wall fell on her, said the country’s Civil Protection Office.

 

More than 5,000 people were evacuated in Haiti because of flooding. Hardest hit was the sprawling shantytown of Cite Soleil in Port-au-Prince, where floodwaters collapsed scores of tents and flooded homes with three feet of water.

 

Doctors Without Borders said it anticipated a spike in cholera cases due to flooding, and it was preparing to receive more patients.

 

In the neighbouring Dominican Republic, at least two people were killed, reportedly swept away by swollen rivers.

 

Nearly 13,000 others were forced to evacuate their homes; the storm damaged 864 dwellings and left 90 towns cut off, emergency management officials in the Dominican Republic said.

 

In Cuba, moderate coastal floods were reported in Baracoa, Guantanamo and the lower coastal areas of the municipalities of Gibara and Banes, Holguin.

 

Electric service was interrupted in Baracoa, from where 1,093 persons were evacuated due to Isaac’s heavy rains and wind of up to 53 miles per hour, which caused the total or partial collapse of 17 houses, according to preliminary figures.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Columnists

Archives