Human rights groups welcome initiative on cholera

By Admin Wednesday December 12 2012 in News
COMMENTS
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...


 

The /Bureau des Avocats Internationaux/(BAI) and the Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti (IJDH) has welcomed United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon’s initiative to eliminate cholera as an important first step toward justice for victims of the ongoing epidemic in Haiti.

 

The initiative, launched earlier this week, supports a joint plan to be announced next month aimed at eliminating cholera on the island of Hispaniola over a 10-year period through healthcare, public education and clean water and sanitation infrastructure.

 

The plan to eliminate cholera reflects one of the key remedies sought in claims filed against the UN by the organizations on behalf of 5,000 victims of cholera in Haiti in November, 2011. Extensive evidence has established that the outbreak was caused by poor UN sanitation practices that allowed untreated human waste from soldiers deployed from a cholera-endemic country to leak into Haiti’s central river system.

 

“As our complaint explained, the UN has an obligation to control the cholera outbreak caused by its malfeasance,” said Mario Joseph, lead counsel for the petitioners and Managing Attorney of the BAI. “We are pleased that the UN is finally taking steps consistent with its legal obligations, but more resources are needed and there needs to be more urgency. In the two years it took to launch this initiative – which partially funds a plan to be announced later – over 7,700 Haitians have died. Haitians will continue to die from UN cholera until clean water and sanitation is actually installed.”

 

According to the Secretary-General, bilateral and multilateral donors have made available $215 million in existing funds to support the elimination efforts and the UN is committing $23.5 million in support, which is 10.8 per cent of the total needed. The Haitian government is expected to announce the details of the full plan in January, 2013.

 

“We welcome the Secretary-General’s Initiative as a positive step towards preventing future cholera deaths,” said Brian Concannon, Director of IJDH and co-counsel for the petitioners. “But a just response requires allowing past victims of the UN cholera and their survivors their day in court to seek justice for their loss of loved ones, income, property and educational opportunities.”

 

In the past week, nearly 6,700 people from around the world have signed a petition sponsored by filmmaker Oliver Stone and the organization Just Foreign Policy that stresses the organization’s refusal to accept responsibility and calls on the Secretary-General to act quickly.

 

“Continued UN denial and silence on the issue of responsibility only harms the organization’s long-term moral credibility,” said Beatrice Lindstrom, Staff Attorney at IJDH. “Everyone is waiting on the UN to do the right thing and accept responsibility for the epidemic.”

 

To access the petition, visit http://avaaz.org/en/petition/End_Haitis_Cholera_Epidemic_with_UN_Action_Now_1/

 

RON FANFAIR

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Columnists

Archives