Gov’t defends decision to end hospital construction contract

By Admin Wednesday September 17 2014 in Caribbean
COMMENTS
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...


 

GEORGETOWN: India-based construction firm, Surendra Engineering Corporation (SECL), has denied allegations that it submitted false documents to the Government of Guyana in order to secure a multi-million dollar contract to construct a hospital in the South American country.

 

The government said that the firm had submitted a document purporting to come from the Central Bank of Trinidad & Tobago in accordance with the provisions of the contract that required certain securities to be provided by the contractor in relation to advanced payment guarantees, as well as security, which would guarantee performance of a particular quality.

 

However, Attorney General Anil Nandlall said that when the document was “produced to my chambers for examination we requested some form of authentication for this company in terms of its existence and standing as a result of that request purporting to emanate from the Central Bank of Trinidad & Tobago, a notary public seal affixed to that document…in my limited experience a document coming from a bank will not ordinarily have affixed a notary seal”.

 

Nandlall said formal inquiries from the Central Bank in Trinidad confirmed first by phone that the document did not come from them, and a signature on the document was made by someone who does not seem to exist.

 

He said the Central Bank of Trinidad has launched its own investigation.

 

However, SECL managing director, Brijen Parikh, said his company “is not aware of the document and has not provided any such document as referred to in the reports in respect of Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago.

 

“We hereby reiterate that all such allegations of fraud or financial irregularities are completely baseless and without any merit,” he said, indicating that the decision to scrap the project might be due to “political compulsions or for any other ulterior motives”.

 

SECL said that while it would remain committed to the Specialty Hospital Project, it would consider legal action against the government.

 

“SECL is entitled to recover several million USD from the government in respect of work done at the site so far,” the company said. “The stoppage of work was only because of failure or neglect on part of the government of Guyana from fulfilling its obligations. It is shocking to hear such press reports which can only be interpreted as a desperate attempt on the part of the Government of Guyana to wriggle out of its stated commitments towards the project.”

 

The company said its capability was never in question and that it has a sound 40-year track record of “vast experience and expertise” in engineering and construction.

 

SECL said it has successfully designed, constructed and completed more than 100 projects in 33 countries worldwide.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Columnists

Archives