Ghana implements changes following World Cup discord

By Admin Thursday July 10 2014 in Sports
COMMENTS
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...


 

Ghanaian soccer players will be required to sign contracts for future international competitions to avoid the problems that arose at the World Cup over bonus payments.

 

The players took strike action because they had not received payments owed to them before the World Cup, resulting in nearly $3 million

 

The country’s soccer federation said it would revert to “signed agreements” and bank transfers for bonuses.

 

And, coach Kwesi Appiah promises he will introduce a tougher code of conduct for national team players following some disturbing events at the World Cup, where Ghana was bounced in the first round.

 

Midfielder Sulley Muntari and striker Kevin-Prince Boateng were kicked off the team for indiscipline prior to the last match against Portugal. It’s alleged that Boateng verbally abused Appiah and Muntari committed an unprovoked physical attack on an executive committee member.

 

“As we look ahead, I will look for committed players and we will try not to tolerate indiscipline and anyone who will bring our efforts down,” said Appiah.

 

The coach also wants to implement a plan to learn more about local players before they are brought into the national team’s set-up.

 

“We will communicate with local coaches to help provide much information on players,” he said. “I am waiting for the local league to start and I will keep an eye on the players abroad.”

 

And Stephen Keshi’s stint as Nigeria’s coach has ended after his contract was not renewed.

 

The 52-year-old became the first Nigerian to lead his side into the second round at a World Cup before they were eliminated by France.

 

Equatorial Guinea has been disqualified from the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco play-offs for fielding an ineligible player.

 

The competition’s organizing committee ruled that Thierry Fidieu Tazemeta, who was born in Cameroon, should not have played in the first round first leg victory over Mauritania last May.

 

It said no evidence was provided by the Equatorial Guinea Soccer Association or by the International Soccer Federation (FIFA) that the player had successfully changed associations.

 

The Confederation of African Football stated on its website that the Equatorial Soccer Association had not complied with FIFA’s statute covering qualification of a player for a representative team.

 

The statute prescribes a written and reasoned request must be addressed to seek the change of association.

 

Mauritania had raised reservations concerning the player after the match, which they won 1-0. Equatorial Guinea won the second leg 3-0 to clinch the tie 3-1 on aggregate.

 

But Mauritania has now been reinstated in the competition and will face Uganda in the final play-off round.

 

Last year, Equatorial Guinea forfeited two games in World Cup qualifying for the same offence.

 

By RON FANFAIR

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Columnists

Archives