Ghana could be banned from international competition-FIFA

By Admin Wednesday August 13 2014 in Sports
COMMENTS
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...


 

Soccer’s world body said Ghana could be banned if a government-ordered commission of inquiry into the ill-fated World Cup campaign goes ahead.

 

“We would like to remind you FIFA (the International Soccer Federation) member associations must manage their affairs independently without any third party influence,” FIFA said in a letter dispatched to the Ghanaian Soccer Federation.

 

FIFA prohibits governmental interference in the running of national associations.

 

“Should the decision be rendered by the Commission against Ghanaian soccer officials thereby removing them from office, it would be considered as interference in the association’s affairs and the case would be brought to FIFA’s highest instances for appropriate sanctions,” FIFA warned.

 

For the first time, Ghana – which reached the 2010 quarter-finals – failed to make it out of the first round of the World Cup. After holding the Germans to a two-all draw, Ghana lost 2-1 to the United States and Portugal.

 

To add to Ghana’s misery, midfielder Sulley Muntari and striker Kevin-Prince Boateng were kicked off the team for indiscipline prior to the last match against Portugal.

 

It’s alleged that Boateng verbally abused coach Kwesi Appiah and Muntari committed an unprovoked physical attack on an executive committee member.

 

A day earlier, Ghana’s government sent nearly Can$3 million in cash by plane to Brazil to pay the appearance fees owed to the national players who were prepared to boycott training ahead of the Portugal game if their demands for the payment was not reached.

 

Meanwhile, Ivorian Didier Drogba has announced his retirement from international soccer.

 

The former captain and two-time African Soccer Player of the Year, registered 65 goals in 104 appearances for his country in a 12-year international career.

 

“I am very proud to have been captain of this team for eight years and to have contributed to placing my country on the world stage of soccer, taking part in three World Cups and two African Cup of Nations finals,” said Drogba. “I cannot convey enough thanks to the fans for all the love and support during these years. All my goals, all my caps, all our victories are for you.

 

“I also owe much gratitude to my teammates – the players with whom I have shared all these emotions and I wish you all much success for the future and a very warm welcome to the new manager (Herve Renard).”

 

Last month, the 36-year-old striker returned to Chelsea on a free transfer and signed a one-year contract after playing with Galatasaray in the Turkish league last season.

 

In nine seasons with Chelsea up until 2012, Drogba scored 100 goals in 226 appearances and helped the English club win two FA Cup and Premier League titles.

 

RON FANFAIR

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Columnists

Archives