GEORGE TOWN: Former premier of the Cayman Islands, McKeeva Bush, has reiterated his innocence after being formally charged with two counts of misconduct last week.
“I have done nothing illegal, and will defend every one of these charges,” Bush said in a press release. “As I’ve stated since this campaign against me began over three years ago, I am innocent. I will continue as the leader of the United Democratic Party, with its full support. These charges will not deter my faith and dedication to all the people of Cayman and to the United Democratic Party.”
Bush, 57, will appear in court on April 12 to face four counts of Breach of Trust by a member of the Legislative Assembly and five counts of theft.
The United Democratic Party (UDP) has vowed to stand behind their leader, noting that the charges came as no surprise. Bush had previously indicated that he expected charges to be brought just before the upcoming elections and expects other charges to be brought in an effort to affect his re-election campaign.
“The UDP Party stands behind McKeeva Bush and is proud to have (him) as its leader,” the party said in a statement. “He has diligently looked after the people of the Cayman Islands, from all walks of life, for over thirty years and despite this campaign to embarrass Mr. Bush, his family, the United Democratic Party and its supporters, he fully intends to continue to do so. Our country has faced adversities before and like before, the UDP will stand united with the people of the Cayman Islands to face these challenges.”
Bush was first arrested on suspicion of corruption in December. He denied the charges, but soon lost a no-confidence motion and was replaced by Juliana O-Connor-Connolly.