PORT-OF-SPAIN: Environmentalist Dr. Wayne Kublalsingh was released from a private hospital on Monday, less than 24 hours after he was rushed to the institution because of the deterioration in his health caused by an indefinite hunger strike.
Dr. Kublalsingh is in the fourth week of the hunger strike to force the government to consider new proposals for the construction of the segment of a multi-billion dollar (one TT dollar=US$0.37 cents) highway in South Trinidad.
Last week, Kublalsingh’s medical practitioner, Dr. Asante Van West-Charles-Le Blanc, warned that the environmentalist is near death with his vital organs showing signs of deterioration.
However, as she emerged from visiting the environmentalist on Sunday night, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar said “he is very lucid and he seems very strong.
“I prayed with him,” she said, adding that she had been told that his vital signs “are stable” and that his blood results are normal”.
Health Minister Dr. Fuad Khan, who had accompanied Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar, said although he was not in a position to give out the private details of a patient, Kublalsingh “was very lucid”.
Meanwhile, civil society groups have turned down an invitation to tour the site of the multi-billion dollar highway with Works and Transport Minister Dr. Suruj Rambachan saying nothing new would be gained by such a visit.
The groups are supporting Kublalsingh, who wants the government to adopt an alternate route for the Debe to Mon Desir section of the TT$7.5 billion Point Fortin highway in south Trinidad.