Dominican Republic closes five consulates in Haiti

By Admin Wednesday March 11 2015 in Caribbean
COMMENTS
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...


 

SANTO DOMINIGO: The Dominican Republic is temporarily closing five of its consulates in Haiti due to security concerns.

 

Miguel Medina, a spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the government believes that “aggression” against the consulates puts staff at risk.

 

He said the five consulates in Haiti will be closed until the administration of Haitian President Michel Martelly “provides guarantees of adequate protection”.

 

The Dominican Embassy in Port-au-Prince will remain open.

 

The decision to close the consulates was made a week after Haitians took to the streets to protest the mistreatment of their nationals in the Spanish-speaking country.

 

Haitians are also angered at the ruling in 2013 of the Constitutional Court here that makes it difficult for people of Haitian descent to obtain citizenship.

 

Caribbean Community (CARICOM) leaders who met in the Bahamas last month have also expressed concern at the ongoing difficulties facing the Haitians, noting that the process of regularization of Dominicans of Haitian descent “arbitrarily deprived of their nationality by the Dominican Republic Constitutional Court ruling on nationality of September 2013 expired on 1 February 2015”.

 

However, the regional leaders said government officials indicated that it would not be extended despite the fact that only 6,937 of those affected “were able to apply in time, leaving a large number estimated to be over 100,000 vulnerable to expulsion”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Columnists

Archives