DeRosario, Roberts on national soccer team to oppose Jamaica

By Admin Wednesday September 03 2014 in Sports
COMMENTS
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...


 

Veteran striker Dwayne DeRosario and young goalkeeper Quillan Roberts are in the national 23-member soccer squad named to oppose Jamaica in a friendly international on September 9 at BMO Field.

 

A four-time Canadian Player of the Year and 2011 Major League Soccer Most Valuable Player, the 36-year-old DeRosario has represented Canada 77 times in the last 16 years. Roberts, 19, was loaned out this season to United Soccer League professional team, Wilmington Hammerheads, after failing to represent Toronto FC – which signed him in 2012 – in the last two seasons.

 

This is the first time that Canada will be playing at home under Coach Benito Floro who assumed the role in July 2013.

 

“As you can imagine, for me, this is a very special game because it’s a chance to correspond with the supporters,” said Floro. “So I would like a very good game – not only to pick up a win but to also get a good performance…We’ve seen several Jamaican games and we consider them to be a physically good team. This means that technically and tactically it is a very good test for us. It’s good for us because we need to test ourselves in Toronto and show that we are progressing and moving up.”

 

Meanwhile, Rwanda’s appeal against its dismissal from the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations soccer tournament has been dismissed by the Confederation of Africa Soccer (CAF).

 

The country was expelled for fielding an ineligible player in the second round qualifier against Congo.

 

Dady Biori holds Rwandan and Democratic Republic of Congo passports which bear different names and dates of birth.

 

“Any team that has committed fraud on the identity of a player will lose the match and shall be eliminated from the competition,” the CAF said in a statement. “It was established that the player, playing with the national team of Rwanda, was the same that played in the Champions League with the club AS Vita using the name Etekiama Agiti Tady.”

 

The CAF investigation revealed that the date of birth for the Democratic Republic of Congo-born striker on his Rwandan passport is December 12, 1986 while his Congolese passport indicates that he was born on December 13, 1990.

 

“Based on the documents on record, it was evident that the Rwandan federation was aware of this double identity but proceeded to feature the player for the national team while he held a different identity with the club,” the CAF noted.

 

Rwanda’s expulsion means that Congo Brazzaville will compete in Group “A” of the qualifying series with defending champions Nigeria, Sudan and South Africa.

 

The Rwandan Soccer Federation is considering launching an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which is the sport’s highest legal body.

 

“We have received communication from the CAF indicating that our appeal was not successful,” said Rwanda Soccer Federation media and communications officer Bonnie Mugabe. “Our officials and lawyers are now analyzing the long letter to see the way forward.”

 

Libya, which Rwanda beat in the first round of qualifiers, had previously lodged a complaint against the striker, but their protest failed.

 

The group phase of the Nations Cup qualifying competition starts tomorrow with Sudan hosting South Africa. Nigeria tackles Congo on Saturday.

 

RON FANFAIR

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Columnists

Archives