Damage assessment underway following Hurricane Gonzalo

By Admin Wednesday October 22 2014 in Caribbean
COMMENTS
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...


 

HAMILTON: Bermuda is assessing the cost of damage associated with the passage of Hurricane Gonzalo, a Category 2 storm that slammed into the British Overseas Territory last Friday night, leaving thousands without electricity and making several roads impassable.

 

Governor George Fergusson took to social media to inform that the police have reported no deaths or serious injuries and that damage has been extensive but not catastrophic.

 

The island had closed its international airport and suspended all public transportation, including ferries.

 

Police spokesman Dwayne Caines said that the storm had blown off part of the roof at the main hospital and there was water damage in the new intensive care unit.

 

 

As of press time, many of the island’s 36,000 homes connected to Bermuda’s sole power provider were without electricity, a few days after power had been restored following the passage of Tropical Storm Fay.

 

Police Commissioner, Michael DeSilva, said almost all roads on the island were impassible and crews are clearing debris and fallen trees as well as power lines. “

 

The Miami-based National Hurricane Center (NHC) said Gonzalo approached Bermuda as a Category 3 storm but weakened just before coming ashore with sustained winds of 110 mph.

 

NHC said Gonzalo, packing maximum sustained winds of 90 mph, had weakened as it moved away from Bermuda on a track that would take it past Newfoundland and then across the Atlantic.

 

The storm was also blamed for the death of one person in the Dutch territory of St. Maarten.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Columnists

Archives