Ghana advances after holding off the Hungarians


Ghana survived a late second half Hungarian rally to come up with a 3-2 win and advance to the final of the International Soccer Federation (FIFA) Under-20 World Cup in Egypt.

Hungary scored twice in 11 minutes late in the second half against the West Africans who staved off the rally when Abeiku Quansah netted the winning goal nine minutes before the end of regulation time.

Earlier, Dominic Adiyiah scored in the 10th and 31st minute to give Ghana an early 2-0 lead.

Ivory Coast, meanwhile, joined the Ghanaian senior team and host country South Africa as Africa’s qualifiers for next year’s World Cup after drawing 1-1 with Malawi last Saturday.

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba scored just three minutes after coming on as a 65th minute substitute in the away contest in Blantyre.

It’s the second straight World Cup appearance for Ivory Coast which took part in the 2006 finals in West Germany where they failed to make it out of the first round of their group that contained Argentina, The Netherlands and Serbia-Montenegro.

Algeria and Tunisia moved a step closer to reaching the World Cup by winning their qualifiers while Nigeria kept its hopes alive of qualifying with a last-minute goal against Mozambique in Abuja.

Tunisia defeated Kenya 1-0 and Algeria came from behind to beat Rwanda 3-2 and regain a three-point advantage at the top of its group.

Benin and Mali qualified for next year’s African Cup of Nations tournament after winning their home matches last Sunday.

Benin edged World Cup-bound Ghana 1-0 while Mali secured a similar margin of victory over Sudan which played with 10 men after defender Saeed Mustapha Balla was sent off in the 41st minute.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>