By RON FANFAIR
National cricket all-rounder Abdool Samad has suffered yet another injury that will force him to miss Canada’s tour of Scotland and the Netherlands that started this week.
He tore a rotator cuff muscle while bowling for Cavaliers against Brampton Masters in a Toronto & District Cricket Association (TDCA) Elite contest last month. Though he wouldn’t need surgery, doctors have advised him to rest for the next month.
Samad has suffered a fair share of hurt and disappointment in the past few years. He missed this year’s World Cup qualifier in South Africa to be close to his wife who is afflicted with Crohn’s disease. He has also been refused time-off from his employers to represent his country overseas and battled injuries that include a damaged leg that kept him out of the national side for almost three years, a broken right thumb twice in the past two years and a hairline fracture of his little finger on the same hand last January.
“I don’t know what’s next,” a frustrated Samad told Share this week. “I was looking forward to be on this tour and now another injury comes up. It’s really hard.”
Former national captain Zubin Surkari has replaced Samad in the squad that meets Scotland in a four-day Intercontinental Cup fixture, starting today. The teams will also play two One-Day Internationals on July 7 and 8 before Canada heads to the Netherlands for two ODI meetings on July 11 and 12 and a four-day match starting on July 15.
When Samad returns for Cavaliers, he will have a new teammate.
Former West Indies and Guyana leg-spinner Mahendra Nagamootoo arrived here yesterday and will turn out for the club next week. He appeared in five Tests and 24 ODIs and claimed 370 wickets (av. 29.22) in 102 first-class matches.
Four years ago, Nagamootoo became the leading wicket taker in regional cricket, breaking West Indies selector Clyde Butts’ record of 270 wickets.
“I think this is a great addition for our club because Mahendra has experience and this is something he wants to do,” said Samad. “He has never played club cricket here, so this is a new and exciting challenge that he’s looking forward to. In addition, we have several new players in our side who can benefit from his knowledge of the game.”
Meanwhile, International Cricket Council (ICC) development event manager, Andrew Faichney and global Under-19 co-ordinator, David Thorley, will inspect the Toronto Cricket Club, Malton, Ajax and King City facilities today to ascertain if Canada is capable of hosting the Under-19 World Cup global qualifier in September.
Last May, the ICC Development Committee selected Canada to stage the tournament in which 10 Associate and Affiliate teams will compete for five spots in next year’s Youth World Cup in New Zealand which has replaced Kenya as the host country.
Kenya was stripped of the rights to host the event after an ICC report concluded that with eight months to go before the competition got underway, it was “unrealistic” to expect the East African country to be ready to host the tournament.
This has prompted Cricket Canada, which is slated to host the global youth tournament in 2012, to express concern about this country’s ability to stage the event.
“We have brought up those concerns with ICC event manager, Chris Tetley, while we were in England last week,” said Cricket Canada’s development officer, Ingleton Liburd. “The requirements are very demanding and extensive and we don’t know if we can fulfill them.”
Liburd, along with Cricket Canada’s outgoing president, Ben Sennik, attended the ICC’s annual conference at Lords last week.