Temporary residents can now get extensions online


Temporary residents seeking work permits or an extension of their visit in Canada can now apply online.

“Extending our online services to more temporary residents will significantly facilitate the application process by providing faster, more accessible and efficient services,” says Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney.

Forms submitted by mail often need to be returned because they are incomplete, adding additional time to the process. Applications on line can only be submitted if they are complete, thereby contributing to faster processing. The service is open to all temporary residents except for co-op program work permit applicants.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) says it intends to make all types of applications available online in the near future.

CIC began offering online applications in June 2008 and international students studying in Canada were the first to have access to the service. Since then, international students have submitted almost 33,000 online applications.

International students at over 200 participating educational institutions have been able to apply online for an off-campus work permit, confirm their eligibility online and renew their study permit while in Canada. They can also use the online service to apply for or extend the status of their dependent family members currently living in Canada.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>